Discovering Engineering 2017
Spend a week discovering the vast field of engineering at the University of Maryland. Live on campus, meet faculty, tour one-of-a-kind labs and facilities, and learn about the various engineering disciplines offered at the University of Maryland.
This is a one-week residential summer camp for rising 11th and 12th grade students.
Session One: Sunday, July 23 - Saturday, July 29, 2017
Session Two: Sunday, July 30 - Saturday, August 5, 2017
The Academic Program
During the week, you will have an opportunity to explore engineering at the Clark School. You will participate in a variety of activities including laboratory work and demonstrations, lectures, discussions, computer instruction and a team design project. You will visit each of the engineering departments to learn more about the specific departments and their special projects. Within the network of support provided by the instructors, program advisors, teaching fellows, and peers, you will have the opportunity to build self-confidence in applying your math, science and engineering skills.
Experience Campus Living
Find out what Maryland has to offer! Program participants stay on campus and participate in various activities during the evening hours. Evening activities are an exciting way to meet and hang out with other students in a relaxed and fun environment.
A sample schedule of the program day follows below. Please note that this schedule is only a general outline of how each day is organized; further details of the program are to be determined closer to the start of the program.
- Breakfast (7:30am-8:45am)
- Academic Sessions/Lab Tours (8:45am-12:00pm)
- Lunch (12:00pm-1:00pm)
- Academic Sessions/Lab Tours (1:00pm-5:00pm)
- Dinner (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- Robotics Project (6:00pm-9:00pm)
- Evening social activity (9:00pm-10:00pm)
Students entering the 11th or 12th grade in Fall 2017 are eligible to apply. Due to a limited number of spaces, we will only be able to accept 30 students for each session of the program. All students are welcome to apply to the program.
The entire program costs $1,000.00 per student. The cost of the program covers all expenses except transportation to and from the university and spending money. Scholarships are available for students with demonstrated financial need.
The application consists of four parts:
- An online application. To access the online application, please click here.
- A personal statement addressing the following questions: "Why would you like to participate in Discovering Engineering? Why are you interested in the University of Maryland and the Clark School?" (Please note that this statement should be one page, 12 pt. font, and double-spaced. It will need to be uploaded through the online application website referenced in Part 1.)
- A letter of recommendation from a science, technology, engineering or math teacher. All letters of recommendation should be emailed to email@example.com.
- An official high school transcript mailed to the address below.
Priority deadline: April 14, 2017 (Students who apply by this deadline, will be notified of their acceptance status by early May.)
Regular decision deadline: May 19, 2017 (Students who apply by this deadline, will be notified of their acceptance status by early June.)
Discovering Engineering 2017
A. James Clark School of Engineering
1131 Glenn Martin Hall
4298 Campus Drive
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
(301) 405-5342 (office)
(301) 314-9867 (fax)